Sunday, November 7, 2010

Where to begin?

Welcome to my blog....this will likely turn out to be a montage of anything and everything HOWEVER since my life is consumed primarily by our three wonderful children, my husband AND Type 1 diabetes, here we are - 'How'd life get so crazy?'

Time flies when you're having fun - often times happening within a blink of an eye.  Last I remember, (and wasn't so exhausted) was about 15 years ago... I was 24 years old and married to my high school sweet heart, Tom.  We'd just bought a great little house that was perfect for us.  This would be a great house for us to raise our perfect American family with 2.4 kids - who comes up with 2.4 kids??  We'd just graduated from college, both employed within our fields - how much more perfect could life get?  We lived in a different state than our families but only 1.5 hours away so really life is very good! 

At this point, Tom has been living with Type 1 diabetes for 13 years.  Life seems pretty stable with his health.   He was on insulin injections.  When we were sophmores in college, I practiced on that orange because I was going to give him his injection.  I was a nervous wreck - I don't know who was more nervous, him or me.  Of course, I know the answer to that because Tom is always the rock with us.  I called my future Mother in Law to share my excitement - she probably figured her son was dating a loon but at least she wants to help care for him, right?  It must be tough to be a college student and live with Type 1 - the stress, crazy schedule, and parties.  Fortunately, Tom never was much of a drinker but certainly liked to hang with his friends.  He had a bad scare and an ICU hospitalization during finals one year due to ketoacidosis (high blood glucose).  I had never been taught about this and was petrified.  He insisted on taking this computer final and refused to go for medical help - that stubborn part of him.  I waited outside the classroom for him because that was our deal - 'you take the final and than we are getting you help'... dumb me, I took him to the university infirmary.  To this day, I am in awe of how they worked like stealth fighters so quick and smoothly to literally save my guy.  He was rushed to the local hospital and spent three days in the ICU.  Wearing the shoes that I do now, I don't know how his mom made the three hour trip without completely trippin'.  No cell phones back then -imagine that!  I felt terrible knowing that I hadn't done something right.   She is a dear woman and I remember her saying to me 'I'm so glad he has you - he's stubborn and you did everything right...'  This was my first real life changing experience with Type 1 diabetes. 

Hard to believe given that my mom lives with Type 1 diabetes too!  I'll never forget coming home one day, I was probably about 14 or 15.  She was sitting in the living room crying.  She said 'I have Type 1 diabetes'.   Looking back, I was a pretty awful 14 or 15 year old because I'm pretty sure I was wrapped up in my life.  Mom's got this thing that I've never heard of and I'm pretty sure, I wasn't much help.  It's not like there was internet then to look it up and my life was too busy.  Life goes on.... and it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment